4mm x 3 Core SWA Cable Per Metre – A type of mains electrical cable constructed from copper cores, PVC bedding and a galvanised steel wire armour below the sheath. This cable is great for being able to withstand knocks and scrapes.
A few of the other uses for this cable include:
- Sockets & Switches in a shed or outhouse
- External Pond Switches & Lighting circuits
- Electric Gates
- Security Lighting
If you’re unsure what size cable you require, check out our Armoured Cable Calculator. PLEASE NOTE: this calculator provides an estimate, so if you’re not sure which cable size you need, remember to consult the electrician doing the install so that they can check the regulations and confirm.
Specifications for 4mm x 3 Core SWA Cable Per Metre
- Current rating : 42 Amp (Clipped Direct)
- Conductors: Stranded copper
- Insulation: XLPE
- Core identification: 3 core (Brown, Black & Grey)
- Bedding: PVC
- Armour/Protection: SWA (Steel wire armour)
- Sheath/Jacket: PVC
- Colour: Black
- Voltage: 600/1000v
- Operating temperature: Maximum 90°C, minimum bending 0°C
- Standard: BS5467: Electric cables.
- Voltage: 600/1000V
- Designed for use in mains supply electricity
Our in-house electrician Stuart recommends using this cable for outdoor garden lighting installations. As the cable is armoured, it is also protected from damage whilst being buried for added peace of mind.
Remember to use CC6 Cable Cleats to attach the cable to any building or structure and outdoor CW20S glands to terminate the stripped ends into the required equipment. This also provides a clean and tidy installation as well as protecting the cable from any knocks or scrapes. Remember that indoor BW20S brass cable glands are also available for this cable size.
For more information on how to install armoured cable easily and safely, check out this ‘How To’ video on installing Steel Wire Armoured Cable. This is for reference during the cable installation.