70mm x 4 Core SWA Cable Per Metre – A large diameter steel wire armour cable which is suitable for carrying high current across long distances. Due to it’s galvanised steel wire armour below the outer sheath, you’ll find this cable is perfect for direct burial into the ground, as it is protected from the elements. The outer sheath is also UV-protected, meaning that if you did use it above ground, it won’t degrade in direct sunlight.
A few of the different uses for this cable include:
- Large outbuildings, for example on farms
- Industrial Conveyor Systems
- High powered Machinery
- Mains Power Supply to Units, Warehouses etc.
- Three Phase and earth circuits
- Large Three Phase Motors
Specifications for 70mm x 4 Core SWA Cable Per Metre
- Overall Diameter: 37.7mm
- Current rating: 238 Amp (Clipped Direct)
- Approximate Overall Diameter: 37.7mm
- Conductors: Stranded copper
- Insulation: XLPE
- Core identification: 4 core (Brown, Black, Blue & Grey)
- Bedding: PVC
- Armour/Protection: SWA (Steel wire armour)
- Sheath/Jacket: PVC
- Colour: Black
- Voltage: 600/1000v
- Operating temperature: Maximum 90°C, minimum bending 0°C
- Standard: BS5467: Electric cables
- Voltage: 600/1000V
Our in-house electrician Colin recommends using this cable for outdoor garden lighting installations. As the cable is armoured, it is also protected from damage whilst being buried for added peace of mind.
Remember to use CC16 Cable Cleats to attach the cable to any building or structure and outdoor CW40 glands to terminate the stripped ends into the required equipment. This also provides a clean and tidy installation as well as protecting the cable from any knocks or scrapes. Remember that indoor BW40 brass cable glands are also available for this cable size.
For more information on how to install armoured cable easily and safely, check out this ‘How To’ video on installing Steel Wire Armoured Cable. This is for reference during the cable installation.